Our Afro-Cuban folkloric percussion retreats offer an intensive study of batá, rumba, makuta, bembé, gúiro, palo and iyesá, among others. These highly polyrhythmic genres improve timing, ensemble skills, focus and confidence. They are also a great place to socialise with like-minded people. We tailor-make our course material to accommodate each group’s needs and level.
The week-long retreats are spilt between tuition and practice time, making the most of the amazing location (mountain walks, beaches, snorkelling, sunbathing, star-gazing, horse riding etc. ), relaxing and of course, eating and drinking.
David Pattman and Vicky Jassey
(Read more about them here)
11th – 18th May 2022 (Deposit by March 1st. Full payment by April 30th)
5th – 11th September 2022 (Deposit by July 1st. Full payment by August 5th)
No need to bring instruments. We have a variety available including congas, percussion and batá drums. Sit and learn, or practice, whilst looking at the mountains, sky and sea. Private 1:1 classes are also available.
Retreat prices all-inclusive per person (7 nights)
Shared Room £685
Single Room £790 (1-2 available)
Extra Nights* £30 per night all-inclusive or £15 without meals.
To secure your place please pay a £150 deposit by March 1st. A full refund will be issued if Covid restrictions prevent the courses from happening.
Please visit our Accommodation page to read about the facilities available at Finca Ará Oko.
Included in the price
– 5 hours tuition x 5 days
– Three meals a day.
Not included in the price
– – Flights: The nearest airport is Almeria (1 hr 20mins drive), then Granada (1 ½-hour drive), then Malaga (2-hour drive). Fares range from £50-350 return. Or, you can use Blablacar.com for car share possibilities. Fares range from around £10-15
– Transport to and from the airport: public transport, unfortunately, is rubbish. We are happy to organise a lift for you. Ideally, try to fly into Almeria as it is the nearest airport. We will assist with coordinating with other members in your group. A lift for a single person will cost approx. £65. If four people are sharing, budget £13-20 per person per airport trip from Almeria.
– Car hire: Some of you may wish to hire a car during your stay. It is a lovely place to drive with good roads and no traffic. If you choose this option, please let us know as we have plenty of experience of how not to get ripped off by the car-hire firms.
– Travel insurance – Please make your own arrangements.
– Extra lessons
– Extra excursions and activities (two-day excursions are included in the price). There are horse riding, cycling and water sport activities available nearby.
*If you wish to stay longer than 7 nights please check with us to see if we can accommodate you. If we can’t for any reason we will be able to suggest places to stay nearby.
How to book
Step 1: To secure your place, please make a deposit of £150. You can pay via Paypal (see below) or directly to our Bank Account which is better for us as Paypal take a commission.
Step 2: Pay the outstanding balance by the date listed directly to the bank details below.
Please see our Cancellation and Participation Guide before booking.
Account name: Bombo Arts
Account number: 63017399
Sort code: 08-92-99
Reference: (Please add the name of the course)
Please email your contact details, dates and name of the course so we know which course you wish to attend.
Deposit – May Folkloric Percussion Retreat: £150
Deposit by March 1st. Full payment by April 30th
11th – 18th May 2022
Deposit – September Folkloric Percussion Retreat: £150
Deposit by July 1st. Full payment by August 5th
5th – 11th September 2022 (Deposit by July 1st)