22nd – 29th May 2022
Drawing on the choir, Coro de Clave (based in London and Spain) this retreat provides a week of singing beautiful Cuban folkloric songs. We develop an understanding of harmony and rhythm and build on the musicality of individuals at any level. We also have the option of collaborating with our local singing group and performing. The retreat celebrates the historical context and culture of this tradition, the coming together of a wonderful community of people who enjoy singing these special songs and the beautiful surrounding landscape.
The name Coro de Clave was given to choirs that proliferated in the black communities of Western Cuba from the last part of the 1800s until around 1920. They were mobile ensembles, often amassing over 100 members and would compete with other neighbouring groups. We have revived and transferred this beautiful idea of community singing to this century and expanded the repertoire to include other Cuban-based styles.
The week-long retreat is spilt between tuition, practice time and making the most of the amazing location (mountain walks, beaches, snorkelling, sunbathing, star-gazing, horse riding etc. ), relaxing and of course, eating and drinking.
David Pattman and Vicky Jassey
(Read more about them here)
Retreat prices all-inclusive per person (7 nights)
Shared Room £685
Single Room £790 (1-2 available)
Extra Nights* £30 per night all-inclusive or £15 without meals.
To secure your place please pay a £150 deposit by March 1st. A full refund will be issued if Covid restrictions prevent the course from happening.
Please visit our Accommodation page to read about the facilities available at Finca Ará Oko.
Included in the price
– 5 hours tuition x 5 days
– Three meals a day.
Not included in the price
– Flights: The nearest airport is Almeria (1 hr 20mins drive), then Granada (1 ½-hour drive), then Malaga (2-hour drive). Fares range from £50-350 return.
– Transport to and from the airport: public transport, unfortunately, is rubbish. We are happy to organise a lift for you. Ideally, try to fly into Almeria as it is the nearest airport. We will assist with coordinating with other members of your group. A lift for a single person will cost approx. £65. If four people are sharing, budget £13-20 per person per airport trip from Almeria. Or, you can use Blablacar.com for car share possibilities. Fares range from around £10-15.
– Car hire: Some of you may wish to hire a car during your stay. It is a lovely place to drive with good roads and no traffic. If you choose this option, please let us know as we have plenty of experience of how not to get ripped off by the car-hire firms.
– Travel insurance – Please make your own arrangements.
– Extra lessons
– Extra excursions and activities (two-day excursions are included in the price). There are horse riding, cycling and water sport activities available nearby.
*If you wish to stay longer than 7 nights please check with us to see if we can accommodate you. If we can’t for any reason we will be able to suggest places to stay nearby.
How to book
Step 1: To secure your place, please make a deposit of £150. We prefer if you could pay directly to our Bank Account as Paypal take a commission but if it is easier for you please use Paypal.
Step 2: Pay the outstanding balance by the date listed directly to the bank details below.
Please see our Cancellation and Participation Guide before booking.
Account name: Bombo Arts
Account number: 63017399
Sort code: 08-92-99
Reference: (Please add the name of the course)
Please email your contact details, dates and name of the course so we know which course you wish to attend.
Deposit – May Folkloric Percussion Retreat: £150
Deposit by March 1st. Full payment by April 30th
11th – 18th May 2022