13th – 19th June 2022
We are delighted to offer a weeklong batá retreat where we will be joined for two days with a special guest, Diobert Melgarejo. Diobert, is a world-renowned batá player and singer from La Habana who for more than 20 years has played in ritual settings with all of the great players of his generation including a close association with the legendary Olu Batá, Angel Bolaños. He now lives in Madrid where he is a vital member of the religious and musical community.
The week offers an intensive study of batá rhythm and song sequences whilst looking over a spectacular landscape. During the week, you will develop technique, stamina, timing and repertoire as well as meeting and socialising with other like-minded people passionate about batá music.
As with all of our retreats, we spilt the time between tuition and practice time, making the most of the amazing location (mountain walks, beaches, snorkelling, sunbathing, star-gazing, horse riding etc. ), relaxing and of course, eating and drinking.
David Pattman, Vicky Jassey (Read more about them here) and Guest, Diobert ‘Moro’ Melgarejo.
No need to bring instruments.
Shared Room £685 pp
Single Room £790 pp
Extra Nights* £30 per night all-inclusive or £15 without meals.
To secure your place please pay a £150 deposit by March 1st. A full refund will be issued if Covid restrictions prevent the courses from happening.
Please visit our Accommodation page to read about the facilities available at Finca Ará Oko.
Included in the price
– 5 hours tuition x 5 days
– Three meals a day.
Not included in the price
– Flights: The nearest airport is Almeria (1 hr 20mins drive), then Granada (1 ½-hour drive), then Malaga (2-hour drive). Fares range from £50-350 return.
– Transport to and from the airport: public transport, unfortunately, is rubbish. We are happy to organise a lift for you. Ideally, try to fly into Almeria as it is the nearest airport. We will assist with coordinating with other members of your group. A lift for a single person will cost approx. £65. If four people are sharing, budget £13-20 per person per airport trip from Almeria. Or, you can use Blablacar.com for car share possibilities. Fares range from around £10-15
– Car hire: Some of you may wish to hire a car during your stay. It is a lovely place to drive with good roads and no traffic. If you choose this option, please let us know as we have plenty of experience of how not to get ripped off by the car-hire firms.
– Travel insurance – Please make your own arrangements.
– Extra lessons
– Extra excursions and activities (two-day excursions are included in the price). There are horse riding, cycling and water sport activities available nearby.
*If you wish to stay longer than 7 nights please check with us to see if we can accommodate you. If we can’t for any reason we will be able to suggest places to stay nearby.
How to book
Step 1: To secure your place, please make a deposit of £150. If possible please pay via our bank account (details below) as we don’t get changed commission or if you prefer you can use Paypal.
Step 2: Pay the outstanding balance by the date listed directly to the bank details below.
Please see our Cancellation and Participation Guide before booking.
Account name: Bombo Arts
Account number: 63017399
Sort code: 08-92-99
Reference: (Please add the name of the course)
Please email your contact details, dates and name of the course so we know which course you wish to attend.
Deposit – Bata Retreat: £150
13th – 19th June 2022
Deposit by March 1st. Full payment by April 30th